Glendale won the Nos. 1 and 2 doubles points on Thursday to pull out a 5-4 victory over SBCC in a WSC women's tennis match at Glendale.
It was the battle of the Vaqueros as the teams share that nickname. Glendale improved to 4-2 and 3-1. Santa Barbara is 2-2 and 1-2.
The teams were tied 3-3 after singles. Lesley Zapata De Lira, Julianna Adelman and Paige Jensen all won three-set matches for Santa Barbara. Zapata De Lira, a sophomore from Carpinteria High, won a marathon at No. 3 singles, 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (17-15 tiebreaker).
The Vaqueros are playing three matches in three days. They'll play in the Ventura College South Challenge the next two days, taking on Saddleback on Friday at 2 p.m. and Grossmont on Saturday at 1 p.m.
1. Hailey McNall, GCC, def. Brenna Casey 7-5, 6-2
2. Tsukimi Ono, GCC, def. Laura Berther 6-2, 6-2
3. Lesly Zapata De Lira, SBCC, def. Veronika Galstyan 6-1, 4-6, 7-6 (15)
4. Kanoko Kihara, GCC, def. Tyler Bunderson 6-2, 6-2
5. Julianna Adelman, SBCC, def. Melonti Emmanouilidi 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. Paige Jensen, SBCC, def. Alexa Mendez 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
1. Ono/Galstyan, GCC, def. Casey/Zapata De Lira 8-1
2. McNall/Kihara, GCC, def. Berther/Adelman 8-3
3. Jensen/Josephine Pulver, SBCC, def. Emmanouilidi/Mendez 9-7