Glendale won every match on Tuesday in a 9-0 women's tennis victory over SBCC at Pershing Park.
The visiting Vaqueros (9-3, 5-0) took sole possession of first place in the WSC while the SBCC Vaqueros (7-2, 4-1) fell one game back. Gabrielle Goss extended her No. 5 singles match to three sets before falling to Kanako Kihara 3-6, 6-0, 6-3.
"Today was a good test to see where we need to be by the end of conference to compete with playoff-caliber teams," said coach Randy Moharram. "Glendale played very well across the board and dictated most of the matches. Our women showed a lot of fight and there were a lot of close games but Glendale did a good job of closing."
Santa Barbara opens the second round of WSC action on Tuesday with a 1 p.m. match at Santa Monica.
1. Viktoriya Shumakova def. Maddie Seeds 6-3, 6-4
2. Tsukimi Ono def. Tyler Bunderson 6-1, 6-0
3. Meredy Gharabegi def. Julianna Adelman 6-4, 6-1
4. Veronika Galstyan def. Kassandra Ortiz 6-3, 6-3
5. Kanako Kihara def. Gabrielle Goss 3-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. Melonti Emmanouilidi def. Savannah Bickle 6-2, 7-5
1. Shumakova/Gharabegi def. Adelman/Ortiz 8-2
2. Ono/Galstyan def. Bunderson/Lesly Zapata De Lira 8-3
3. Kihara/Alexa Mendez def. Goss/Bickle 8-4