The WSC championship came down to the doubles on Tuesday at Pershing Park and Glendale won all three sets to claim the title.
Left-hander Tess Kolkman took the No. 3 singles in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, to even the match at 3-3 after singles. Kolkman is 10-0 in singles. She suffered her first loss of the year in doubles as she and Zionne Lee fell to Amy Shigenaga and Elizabeth Sanchez 8-6.
The hometown Vaqueros (9-3, 8-2) lost for the first time in 10 matches. Glendale improved to 14-2 and 9-1 in the last WSC dual match of the year. Glendale is ranked No. 2 in Southern Cal and SBCC is No. 4.
"We got very strong performances in singles from Maddie Seeds and Zionne Lee and a gut-check match from Tess Kolkman, who won in three tough sets when her 'A game' wasn't working. But it was all Glendale in doubles. Hats off today to Glendale but watch out for us in the playoffs."
The Vaqueros will make the long trek to Visalia to take on Seqoias in their final regular-season match on Friday.
1. Brigitta Benitez, G, def. Marcela Massaglia 6-0. 7-5
2. Maddie Seeds, SBCC, def. Meghedi Mooradian 6-4. 6-0
3. Tess Kolkman, SBCC, def. Amy Shigenaga 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
4. Zionne Lee, SBCC, def. Elizabeth Sanchez 6-1, 6-1
5. Merely Gharabegi, G, def. Amanda Berke 7-6 (3), 7-5
6. Ayaka Takeuchi, G, def. Gabriela McDadaniel 6-2, 6-0
1. Benitez/Gharabegi, G, def. Massaglia/Seeds 8-3
2. Shigenaga/Sanchez, G, def. Kolkman/Lee 8-6
3. Mooradian/Takeuchi, G, def. Berke/Edda von Hodenberg 8-2