Maddie Seeds, Tess Kolkman and Edda von Hodenberg all won in singles and doubles on Friday, guiding SBCC to a 6-3 nonconference women's tennis win at San Diego Mesa.
The Vaqueros won their fifth straight match to improve to 5-2. Mesa is 7-7.
"This is a big win for us," said coach Lance Kronberg. "It's not easy to travel for four hours and compete at a high level. Mesa also has new courts which play much slower than ours, and there were Santa Ana winds that made it difficult.
"You have to forget about beautiful tennis and just grind. There were some rough patches at the start, but my players were able to make the adjustments and come away with a win. I'm very proud of them, especially Tess. She was born to grind. In the wind, she frustrates and tortures opponents."
Seeds took the No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-0 and teamed with Marcela Massaglia to post an 8-0 shutout in the No. 1 doubles set. Kolkman won 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 singles and posted an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles with Von Hodenberg.
1. Maddie Seeds, SBCC, def. Hailey Messick 6-2, 6-0
2. Tian Tian McCray, SDM, def. Marcela Massaglia 6-3, 6-0
3. Tess Kolkman, SBCC, def. Lauren Smith 6-1, 6-0
4. Amanda Berke, SBCC, def. Katie Fowler 6-1, 6-3
5. Edda von Hodenberg, SBCC, def. Elise Villanueva 6-4, 6-2
6. Iris-Shea Villfane, SDM, def. Jackie Wilson 6-0, 6-3
1. Seeds/Massaglia, SBCC, def Messick/Mia Arriola 8-0
2. Kolkman/Von Hodenberg, SBCC, def. Smith/Fowler 8-1
3. Villanueva/Villfane, SDM, def. Berke/Wilson 8-5