SBCC rallied from a 2-1 deficit with four singles wins on Friday to edge Fullerton 5-4 for its first women's tennis win of the season.
The Vaqueros (1-1) trailed 2-1 after the doubles and then Gabrielle Goss dropped a tight 6-4, 6-4 decision at No. 2 singles. No. 1 Katelyn Peyvandi and No. 3 Josephine Pulver won their matches to tie it at 3-3.
The match of the day was the No. 4 singles. SBCC's Pia Valtierra lost the first set 6-3 and was trailing 5-3 in the second. Then she rallied to win the second set in a tiebreak 7-6 (8-6) and took the 10-point tiebreaker, 10-7.
Hanna Pesniak, a freshman from Belarus, got the deciding point at No. 5 singles with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Kim La.
"That was as close as it gets," noted first-year coach Christina Klein. "Overall we did well in singles and need to work on a few things but the girls are tough and endured our longest match of the season.
The Vaqueros open Western State Conference play on Tuesday when they travel to Santa Monica for a 1 p.m. match.
1. Katelyn Peyvandi, SBCC, def. Kelsi Salazar-Sarti 6-4, 6-3
2. Delaney Ashe, FC, def. Gabrielle Goss 6-4, 6-4
3. Josephine Pulver, SBCC, def. Bree Lovering 6-2, 3-0, retired
4. Pia Valtierra, SBCC, def. Mayumi Okubo 3-6, 7-6 (8-6), 10-7
5. Hanna Pesniak, SBCC, def. Kim La 7-5, 6-1
6. Lael Cardinal, FC, def. Maddie Mitchell 7-5, 6-0
1. Ashe/Lovering, FC, def. Peyvandi/Goss 8-4
2. Pulver/Valtierra, SBCC, def. Salazar-Sarti/Okubo 8-3
3. La/Cardinal, FC, def. Pesniak/Mitchell 9-7